Winter is here and so are winter injuries!
According to data from the National Safety Council, 25,000 slip, trip and fall accidents occur daily in the US. Snow, ice and freezing temperatures in the winter multiply the number of wet and slippery surfaces at work and the potential for accidents.
Follow these 10 tips to make sure you’re staying safe when walking around in snowy and icy conditions:
- Walk slowly and carefully. Wear boots or other slip-resistant footwear.
- Use special care when getting in and out of vehicles. Use the vehicle for support if you need to do so.
- Watch for slippery floors when you enter any building or home
- Try to avoid carrying items or walking with your hands in your pockets; this can reduce your ability to catch yourself if you lose your balance. Instead, carry a backpack if you have one.
- Watch out for black ice.
- Tap your foot on potentially slick areas to see if the areas are slippery.
- Walk as flat-footed as possible in very icy areas.
- Avoid uneven surfaces if possible. Avoid steps or curbs with ice on them.
- Report any untreated surfaces to Maintenance and Facilities in your town.
- Remember: Ice and snow mean “take it slow!”
If you do slip and fall, remember that we are here if you need us!
Walk-in Urgent Care in Glastonbury and Farmington:
Monday – Friday 4:30pm – 8:00pm
Saturday/Sunday – 9:00am – 1pm
Glastonbury office is located at 345 Western Blvd. and Farmington location is at 499 Farmington Avenue. Skip the long waits and high costs of the ER and get care right away from our leading orthopedic experts. Click here to learn more about Urgent Care.
Same Day Care:
If you are injured and need to be seen during business hours, call (860) 244-8888 and we will try and schedule you with an available provider in one of our many locations.